Kathrein "Crook" Antenna

Radio Equipment, Generators, Decontamination gear....
Dubmatix
Site Admin
Kathrein "Crook" Antenna

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:33 am

For fitting atop the mast is this dipole antenna.

Fitted

Partly up

(Courtesy of Marks ace FuKW78!)

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Re: Kathrein "Hockey Stick" Antenna

Post by rolandrat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 am

The 'Krückstockantenne' is a very nice addition!

abusbro
EVW Addict

Re: Kathrein "Crook" Antenna

Post by abusbro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:20 pm

John was really liking the mast on the back of Mark's Funkwagen....

then a VW T5 parked up near where we were camping with a huge electically operated mast....

MAST ENVY...!!!! :mrgreen: It's a terrible thing!

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm

What a monster! Compared to that the HIRSCHMANN looks like a weenie (excuse my language :oops: ) ...

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

I sent an email to Kathrein to find out some more information about the antenna you have Dubmatix. The response I received is as follows;

this is an obsolete antenna which we have taken off sales range for more than 25 years. Sorry!
Special antenna for German border police: K515042, 75-87.5 MHz, 60 Ohm, 6/16 male connector, fibreglass radome, moos-green
German border police = Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS antenna)

Where did you source your antenna from and was this original to the vehicle, as I would like to source the correct one for my T3. Is there any specific storage area for the antenna when its not in use?

I would also be interested to do some more reading on these antennas, does anyone know what the range of these units are, and where I can do some more reading on radio transmitting and antennas and how they work?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

It's not mine, it's Mark's though they are correct for the both his (FuKW 78) and my (FuKW TEL 80) bus and maybe yours too... did you get the Brunn manual for yours cos it should be mentioned in there. Is yours an 81 or 85?
I took these at Camper Jam a couple of years ago...i'd never actually seen one before so i was all over it! :D You should check out Mark's bus when you get a chance.
It is original to his bus in that it came with it...who knows if it go swapped in service but it is the correct type for the KatS application. The antenna has a removable whip section that unscrews from the green plastic housing for stowing. It is stored in the rear cupboard (above rear tray) on Marks bus and fits nicely in there along with guy rope set, the whip antenna and the short stub of coax...so i reckon that is the usual position....will have a flick through the manuals...

If you want to learn more about radio and antenna propogation you could do worse than doing your amateur radio foundation license. Or try the RSGB website...their shop has a range of books on this subject or there's the transmission 1 forum, very handy. Or you could get a pair of 446 radios and have a mess around with them. We have a channel for them at shows! /\:) (:D

For info, that antenna is almost ideal for the 4m amateur band. :)

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I am confident mine is an 81, though to be fair I am not one hundred percent certain of the differences between these two models. Do you know what uniquely identifies these models?

I had a look at the manual, and I unless I have gone straight past it I could not see any depictions of the Hirschmann being erected, only how to guy it down and nothing on the antenna itself. I have tried eBay to find one, but as ever its not easy.

What got you interested in radio and what is Marks forum name so I can dig up some piccies?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:46 pm

You could ask Mark's brother (username abusbro) for info but to be honest, these are probably the most comprehensive pics of this...the van doesn't come out very often so that day was the first time all the kit had been out. We had a couple of hours of digging through and figuring out what went where....and trying to figure other stuff out. It 'may' be at Busfest...not sure.
Now you got that tech info, this page probably has the most online collection of information on this type of mast, anywhere!! So please add to it.

One thing, i reckon Kathrein meant that the connector is 7/16 not 6/16 ...it's the standard fitting on the back of the bus... it's DIN 7 16

An 81 is aircooled...the 85 was based on the watercooled T25/T3 so is easy tell apart.

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Thats the first photo I have seen of those connectors, so thanks for that. I've just clocked that Mark is the chap I bought my van from, the same as the rest of us. Is he still sourcing these vans to sell over here?

Once I get started on the site, then we can compile everything amassed in the forum in to a more accessible collection of data to make life much easier for future owners, and we can catalogue the parts and maybe even English translations of the manaul, though that is one hell of a task. I think this may even attract a broader German presence to the site as I dont know if there is a German site that wants to build up this level of history for these vehicles?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am

In the Accessories section the RF connectors are described only about 6 posts down from the Kathrein antennas. Not alphabetical i agree but pretty easy to find.