Bumpers

Details of Paint codes and factory options.
custardbomb
EVW Addict
Bumpers

Post by custardbomb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Does anyone know if there is a colour code for the bumpers? I'm sure from photos they are meant to be black, similar to the hub cubs but mine have faded to grey and despite polishing haven't returned to black? I had my hub caps powder coated as this offered a high level of protection and they were starting to rust, would this be a suitable finish for the bumpers?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: Bumpers

Post by Dubmatix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:31 am

Yes i think the satin black powder coat would be suitable, though it does seem a little blacker and shinier than the original paint. I use Armour All on them and the horns (other plastic cleaners would work) to wipe them down and this makes them a little blacker as it coats them with a film (which also helps protect them too).
I had the so called "gravel guard" powder coated in satin black. This bolts to the bottom of the bumper so allows direct comparison when refitted. It's a tiny bit too glossy but is a reasonable match.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 am

The official colour code for black Feuerwehr and KatS bumpers (and rims) is RAL 9005 tiefschwarz = deep black, VW code L041.

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 am

Thank you Roland, you are a font of knowledge! I think its time to get some paint work done, I'm lucky that a colleagues partner is a senior VW bodyshop technician who just so happens to do the odd cash in hand job! He's done some work repairing some rust on a panel seam and in the offside cab step and you wouldn't know hes done it, the blending and colour match was A1!