Stanford Hall 2010

Been to a show big or small, post your pics here.
Dubmatix
Site Admin
Stanford Hall 2010

Post by Dubmatix » Sun May 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Good to see Mike and Gavin again! Hope you enjoyed your first SH show. It's a great setting and is generally much warmer....honest! Good to have a play with PMR radios too!

We also met Byron, owner of the FuKW78 that Mike met at Dubfreeze. I had just come back from a spin around the car park to take some pictures and as i was so cold, i was wearing the Feuerwehr jacket...anyway i was chatting on the stand and i guess he must have associated bus with strange bloke wearing orange coat so we got talking.

His bus has black crosses on it and a camping interior fitted and apparently the outline of it's original door lettering is visible in some lights...same as mine was, if you read this Byron, make a note of what you can see before it is gone. You may want to put it back some day! And....look forward to seeing you at shows in the future.
Byrons bus was parked up next to a Bay window ex ambulance which had a few nifty original parts including an automatic fold out step, actuated by the sliding door opening.

Jenn got chatting to someone with a KatS bus (TEL 80 I think) with another interior in it but he wanted to try and change it back to standard...they weren't aware of the forum so hopefully they'll drop by at some point. Jenn (doing the sensible thing and thawing out in the van) radio'd me after they had left so that's all the info i have.

Noticed a rather nice Ex Feuerwehr bus hiding behind one of the stands (Hippi Haus) and had a chat with the owners. They seem keen on the idea of getting EVWs together now and again so I'll email them some info on the forum and the Camp Out.

There was a nice Ambulance in the For Sale area

A very nice Splitty ex Feuerwehr bus was for sale for £15k

And a Bay Window Feuerwehr pickup! Yeahy!

All in all a good show, albeit rather cold...no it was freezing, but then i was not prepared for that level of cold...hence resorting to Feuerwehr jacket later in the day. I think the weather must have put some people off as it did seem a bit quieter than normal.

Here's a few random ones of the other parts of the show...

Scirroco Splendour!

Sweet Chilli Source!

If only Bonita looked this good!

lmpd
Super Moderator

Re: Stanford Hall 2010

Post by lmpd » Sun May 02, 2010 9:28 pm

wanted to go, but was still battered from yesterdays wedding, if it was as cold as you say john, then it proberbly worked out for the best :D

oh and btw, was the guy that jenn was talking to, the same guy in this months camper & commercial???

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Post by spikeemikey » Sat May 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi John

Yeah it was good to meet up again. The show was huge. So many splittys etc. Kind of got blown away by it all. Maybe next year we should all park up together? I got some nice sound deadening material offcuts from one of the stalls. Very high density carpet like material. Very heavy. That stuff costs a fortune so I was pleased to pick up for a tenner. Going to try a couple of layers over the engine compartment.

We tootled off to check out the kitcar show at Stoneleigh. There were a couple of buses there :)

Helga's starter refused to engage so it was a rough push start in the field. Thankfully she starts really easily when cold. I pulled the starter out, I think my hot start relay fix, rang the last life out of the poor Bosch starter. Could well be the original. Well it has gone all sticky. Probably the solenoid. Well I have a reconditioned one from GSF to fit now. Not original Bosch but it looks good enough. Taking the opportunity to strip and repaint the lower engine tinwear which suffered a bit of the winter. I should have tackled at the start of the year really, so its a bit more of a major job now. On the 5th application of Deox gel as we speak. There are a couple of small perforations, so I think I will have a shot at lead loading to patch it up and thicken the pitted metal. Seems like a good excuse to by a half-decent blowtorch.

Ill post some pics when its done.
Cheers

Mike

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 pm

I put some pics up at last!

Well spotted bargain mike! I have been thinking about putting something on the cab floor to deaden road noise so it would be interesting to know what this stuff is and how you get on.

Your solenoid problem sounds like Vickys...i think if you remove the solenoid, clean out the coil hole that the plunger sits in...i use WD40, lots of it and paper towel. Clean the plunger too. And wipe as much of the WD40 off as poss leaving the thing dry and shiny. You don't want oil in this. Then clean up and regrease the pivot hole that the pivot bolt goes through and she'll start fine! I did this and it has not played up since! Before i did this, every time I pulled up with a hot engine and shut down after a longish run (lots of heat soak), she wouldn't restart...and this was generally in a petrol station with a queue behind me!

The solenoid get a bit of dirt and crud in it and it gets sticky. This seems to be made worse by heat probably due to expansion and or gunk consistency changing!

As the solenoid pre-engages the gear before applying power, if it sticks, neither happen.

I have refurbed a number of starters like this and never had problems afterwards. I generally check the bearings and brushes and clean the commutator out too but that is not essential.

Maybe next year we can get a club plot? Or we could all arrange to camp/arrive together? Absolutely!

Channel 5 PMRs, Broadsword calling Danny Boy....

PS, forgot to mention...on the way home we saw a convoy of Caterhams (or lookalikes!) and a weird white bug car on stilts....all from the Kitcar show i presume.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat May 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Looking for the pictures of the Austrian Bus i have moved the Brighton Breeze pics to Shows and Meets Photos. Whilst looking through them i noticed the Muncheberg bus that was on the Hippi haus stand at Stanford hall was also at Brighton Breeze. :geek: