Emergency Communications Vehicle South Africa

See an Emergency VW out and about? Post pics here.
jolas
EVW Addict
Emergency Communications Vehicle South Africa

Post by jolas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 pm

This Syncro is still in "operation" and is used by the Loss Control and Disaster Management department (previously called "Civil Protection") of the Durban Emergency Services. I was chatting with my good friend Kieth Lowes (ZS5WFD) a few weeks ago, and he informs that it will be retiring soon, a new disaster bus is on order. If all things go well, the Syncro will go to the HAMNET guys in Durban and thus will still be used (and preserved) by these dedicated volunteers 8-)

(will try my best to get Kieth onto this forum and HE can elaborate on the technical details :twisted: )

lmpd
Super Moderator

Re: Emergency Communications Vehicle South Africa

Post by lmpd » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:27 pm

That I do like, and certainly some toys to play with !!! (:D

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 pm

^^^^ What he said....love it!! Look at all those aerials!! That's the SA equivalent of the KatS radio buses...but with 4wd and a winch! /\:) (:D
Good that it will be looked after in semi retirement. HAMNET sounds like our RAYNET.. radio HAM group for emergency support for large incidents and also for large events.
PS Dug out the stickers this weekend so will try to get them off to you this week. Not forgotten! /\:)

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi ! Yes, you're spot on re the RAYNET/HAMNET thought. There is quite a bit of Comms equipment in there, but I'd rather let Kieth elaborate there, I'm technically challenged there ( with some interior pics pls Kieth :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) ....
Yes, also very happy that it will have a second lease of life.
Dude - thanks for remembering the stickers :D I

lowesk

Post by lowesk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi Paul,

I am here, I will post some pictures tomorrow I have of the interior equipment and provide a description of tha different radio's.

I think I have found the picture of the command unit from central fire. the old CV01.

Regards

Keith

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm

lowesk wrote:Hi Paul,

I am here, I will post some pictures tomorrow I have of the interior equipment and provide a description of tha different radio's.

I think I have found the picture of the command unit from central fire. the old CV01.

Regards

Keith
Cool 8-) Great thanks Kieth - and from "newbie" to another - welcome !

lowesk

Post by lowesk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi

Radio equipment is all Icom. Not surprising as the vehicle was fitted out by the local Icom agent at the time - Quickvoice.

Icom ICV200T models in VHF mid and highband as well as UHF. HF radio was replaced in 2010 with an Icom IC 78.
The vehicle has an automatic antenna tuner with Hustler mobile whips for 20M, 40 and 80M band.

Patch panel is by Zetron which allows patching between the radios and external telephone lines.

Regards

Keith ZS5WFD
Corcom 1.JPG
Corcom 1.JPG (47.68KiB)Viewed 15647 times

lowesk

Post by lowesk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi,

another pic of the vehicle in action
corcom.JPG
corcom.JPG (53.77KiB)Viewed 15647 times

lowesk

Post by lowesk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi,

Showing the Synchro with the "Eazy Awn" deployed
corcom 11.JPG
corcom 11.JPG (53.84KiB)Viewed 15647 times

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Welcome Keith. And thanks guys for the additional pics and info on the kit too. Always appreciated on here! It's certainly got a good array of radio kit, covering a fair distance i would imagine. (:D
Interested in the mobile whips for 80m, how big are they??! Just built an 80m kit tranceiver, very low power though but trying to decide on an antenna for it, really for doing low power, long distance stuff.
Please keep us posted with what happens to this bus in the future, i hope it does go to HAMNET to be put use for what it was intended for. /\:)