FüKW-TEL 80 Weiden

See an Emergency VW out and about? Post pics here.
rolandrat
Super Moderator
FüKW-TEL 80 Weiden

Post by rolandrat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Recently had the chance to take some pics of the 80 introduced in the 'FüKW-TEL 80 meets another Funkwagen' thread.

Once stationed at Feuerwehr Weiden it continues its destination in being a mobile amateur radio station!

The mast ain't a HIRSCHMANN but a stronger one

Note brackets for an additional mast; upper one fixed to the gutter and painted in RAL 2004 to preserve the van's original appearance as effectively as possible; lower one furthermore subserves as an ashtray ;)

The huge city arms belong to its new hometown Aalen; Aal = eel. The eel on the arms is a canting symbol, as there are no eels far and wide. Known as the symbol for the city since 1385 though (I tend to wearing out heraldry ...)

Note KatS hard hat, a birthday gift. How convenient!

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: FüKW-TEL 80 Weiden

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Interesting pics Roland. I can see that the Left Hand mast bracket is not the original either. It has an extension plate to allow two pole clamps. Very Sturdy!! :D

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:31 am

Yeah, forgot to mention that. It's homemade and didn't come with the mast which was an eBay find.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 am

I also noticed it has since had the blue light and PA box removed, maybe he had a run in with the local cops!
Weiden (it's original home) i see translates to grazing/browsing. Is that in a area of heath land?

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 am

Udo found a solution to avoid any hassle with the cops: the blue light/PA box is provided with magnets and can be fixed/removed quite easily if needed.

Weiden is located in eastern Bavaria near the Czech border. Your translation is right, but the name derives from a tree; Weide = willow.

It's included in the city arms (can't deny heraldry :geek: ).

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Interesting roland, i even looked up what a canting symbol is and now i know! See you are now spreading the heraldry!

I have just discovered BSB has a vector graphic of their town crest on Wikipedia! I could use this for a door graphic!:)

Hmmm...maybe we should have a heraldry thread :D

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah, good ideas! :D

Wikipedia also tells us, that Bersenbrück's landmark is a monastry gate with gatehouse built in 1700, an evidence for the female Cistercian monastry which existed from 1231 till 1787.

Together with a stone bridge it had some influence on the town crest; BSB is located at the River Hase, which has nothing to do with a hare but means 'grey', deduced from the Germanic word 'haswa' resp. the Anglo-Saxon expression 'hasu'.

Bearing a city arm is restricted in Germany BTW. Only allowed for official use. But one is always hoping not to be accused of improper use. Sometimes it even can be helpful to be mistaken with an official vehicle ...

I remember one incident with my FuKW 78 wearing 'Katastrophenschutz' door letterings. Got into a large-scale roadside alcohol check:

'I guess you are sober whilst on duty, Sir?'
'Yes officer!'
'Drive on!'

I wore plain clothes, the attachable blue light was off and the van has personalised number plates ... :lol: