RTK3

Useage (off road obviously), swapping/blanking.
custardbomb
EVW Addict
RTK3

Post by custardbomb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Has anyone worked on the RTK3?

I was having a look at my unit in more detail as it did not seem to be happy. I have discovered a missing bolt thats causing the reflector to rub against the lens, but also I can smell the motor burning. I assume at this point it will be a wise idea to change the motor, but does anyone know if this is possible with the unit installed on the roof, as the rooflining is so delicate and I also don't want to break the seal with the roof I don't have to

Thanks,
Chris

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: RTK3

Post by Dubmatix » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Don't know about access on those but i wouldn't rush to replace your motor straight away. If the reflector was dragging then either the motor has got hot due to it pulling more current and may have caued the smell or if belt driven like mine is then the belt may have slipped with the extra load and got hot....or both. Either way the motor may be ok. It could of course smoke every time you power it up in which case turn it off....quick!!!

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Re: RTK3

Post by custardbomb » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I was doing some reading last night and then I realised that spraying the mechanism with WD40 was not a good idea either as I never knew it was a water displacer not a lubricant. I will be oiling the parts up next time, and repairing the unit so its not dragging and see what happens. I'll let you know.

I do have a spare RTK3 in the attic, so I can borrow parts from this and then get it working on the bench for ornamental use (:D