Blues

Useage (off road obviously), swapping/blanking.
custardbomb
EVW Addict
Blues

Post by custardbomb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:56 am

I was at the Great Dorset Steam Fair on Friday and I got in to a conversation with a chap working for RAC on their stand; it turns out he owns two ex UK fire service vehicles and is a member of http://www.f-s-p-g.org/ and he was adamant that although ex Police liveried vehicles were illegal to display the blue light that other service vehicles such as ex Fire could be driven legally with the lens uncovered. I could have sworn from all the documents I have read that it is illegal to have it displayed or even covered up on your vehicle.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what he may be basing his comments on and whether there is any truth in it?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: Blues

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 pm

The lighting regs suggest that even having something that looks like a blue light is illegal. Like blue squares high up (Tesco delivery)...and those yellow ladders with blue ends that look like mini light bars...loads of builders with white vans....

At the end of the day...if you run with it exposed, you risk a run in with a cop having a bad day...i think mostly, you would be fine, indeed we spent the best part of a fortnight running around south wales with no problems with the light on show. Had a bit of an uncomfortable moment when a local bobby in a 4x4 looked at us wondering what the bus was...what we were up to...but he didn't stop us or say anything. Most appreciate that you are preserving an old vehicle (and would more likely stop you to have a nosey) eveyone's different...

I had the problem of leaving it overnight on an armed response cops driveway....and then HE switched the blues and twos on at about 8am on Sunday morning when he was fiddling around with it!! (:D His poor neighbours! (:D

If you cover it up, there's no suggestion that it IS a blue light so very slim chance of getting pulled...unless you were extremely unlucky.

Nice site there though...i like the Alvis based thing! We really must do Derby fire show...it's only up the road from me!