Hirschmann Mast Brackets

Radio Equipment, Generators, Decontamination gear....
custardbomb
EVW Addict
Hirschmann Mast Brackets

Post by custardbomb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I thought I would share the photos of the brackets I have had fabricated to get the Hirschmann mast from eBay.de back on my van. As much as I would like to remain as original as possible with the sourcing of parts, I have consigned myself to the fact that brackets will be very hard to come by. I was lucky finding the Hirschamnn mast as this is identical to the original, and who knows it may well have been, I'll never know.

I thought the fabricator did a cracking job making these. He was the only one who was happy to work from photos, as all the other fabricators would only work with drawings and measurements provided to them, so I took a punt and these are the results;

Theres still some tweaking to be done to include bending the top shroud in slightly and in needs to be cut at a slight angle, and then sandblasted and powdercoated but I am over the moon with the results.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: Hirschmann Mast Brackets

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Looks excellent. I was going to go down this route and push my welding skills to the limit but a cast original turned up! Was it TIG welded? Keep us updated as you get it coated/fitted! 8-)

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Here are the photos I have accumulated and provided to the gent who fabricated the parts;

I still think he did a cracking job replicating the brackets from photos, and too be fair with so few of these vans made and still about whose going to tell the difference 8-)

From what I understand of welding, yes it was TIG as I assume your referring the aluminium welded to steel? I would have been great to have the top aluminium section of the bracket cast but this would have been weaker, susceptible to the same damage as above and probably a lot more expensive to make; it wasn't cheap getting this done as it took the chap a days worth of work, but I was lucky enough get it done for cash.

How the heck were you lucky enough to come up trumps with an original bracket? \:)/

Photos will be updated as soon as I have these fitted and powdercoated, so watch this space.

I was also hoping to reinforce the top of quarter panel before I fit them, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. The panel has already been weakened from damage incurred before I picked her up, this was straightened out and repainted, but needs repainting again and a small dent incurred when I got a bit excited when the brackets were first on with the mast in situ and I erected the mast a little bit higher than I should have done :oops:

I would have liked to make a fibreglass reinforcement panel moulded to the inside of the quarter panel but I cant for the life of me find a quarter panel to make one from.

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Heres some loosely fitted pics, as I need to mark out some alterations to the shroud where the two ends nearer the van need to be bent in slightly and cut to follow the angle of the van from the photos I have seen.

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I've now just had a plate made to replicate the one I have seen on all the other brackets I have seen. Now its not identical due to the mast bracket not being an exact copy, but I am happy with the outcome and noones going to know; well I suppose thats not strictly true as you now all know my secret too ;)

Replica

Original

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 am

That looks great, we could do with a translation though..................I've tried but mine makes no sense at all!!! :oops:

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I think it translates as, wear helmet when extending antenna, and do not drive with antenna extended. Perhaps Roland can confirm this??

Common sense really, but we are in a day and age we really need to ensure people don't think for themselves.

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread. ... mmon-Sense has some hilarious signs lacking common sense displayed.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:57 pm

I can confirm this more or less. We have to differentiate between mast and antenna. :geek:

As already written in the 'FüKW-TEL 80 – Standard' thread it translates as 'A hard hat must be worn when extending the mast.' (how about descending, common sense?) and 'The antenna must be stowed before driving.'. :-K

Sometimes lazy fire/THW stations bucked this order and - if necessary - fitted an extra DIY crook antenna support to avoid its rotation whilst driving. :}^