RTK3 Grill

Radio Equipment, Generators, Decontamination gear....
custardbomb
EVW Addict
RTK3 Grill

Post by custardbomb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:00 pm

On the unit fitted to my 81, the two grills were the later style black plastic. I am wondering whether these would have been supplied originally ir may have been changed as nearly all the RTK3 I have seen fitted use the alternative/earlier plastic framed, metal grilled recesed insert style painted in orange. Does anyone know what the correct one was or were both used?

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Re: RTK3 Grill

Post by custardbomb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:54 am

Has anyone got any thoughts on this, I have attached photos of the two grill variations below if anyone can help establish which would have been original for my van.

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
RTK3.jpg
RTK3.jpg (32.03KiB)Viewed 16806 times

schmiddi

Post by schmiddi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 am

Hi Chris,
the left one was build from 1985 till 92. It had two different sounds (city and country )
The right on is the right one.

watch the link http://www.blaulicht-sammler.de/2_hella_rtk3.html

Juergen

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am

Good morning Juergen,

Thank you for letting me know. My van was a 1981 construction by VW, and put in to service in 1983 and has an RTK3 fitted. When I bought it it had the black grills on it, and I was lucky to pick up another RTK3 with the orange grilles off ebay.de as I thought these were the ones that should have been fitted originally.

If I remember correctly, the other RTK3 you refer to is the SL model.

Thank you for your help, as I am now going to fit the orange grills to replace my black ones (:D

Regards,
Chris

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Chris, I can confirm this, the orange 'glasses' grills (moulded like the ones on your right photo) are the correct ones for your van! /\:)

Sorry for forgetting to reply earlier, I was on my way to Busfest whilst you posted your question. 8..@

The RTK 3 Jürgen refers to is a SL (= Stadt-Land i.e. city and overland switching and sounds) indeed.

The one on your left photo is a crossover RTK 3 tho', already with the SL grills but no SL interior. :geek:

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks also for your help Roland, and no worries about not replying.

I was really hoping that would be the case, I will have to fit those grilles as soon as possible as I prefer the 'retro' feel of them, and its one more step towards restoring my van to original condition. The only problem is that I think I have lost the bolts and they are different lengths on the later grille as opposed to the earlier one, I am now going to hunt through everything I have to find them (:D :D

Do we know when the 'crossover' ones were used, is it possible some of these made it on to the earlier vans?