FuG 7B

Radio Equipment, Generators, Decontamination gear....
rolandrat
Super Moderator
Re: FuG 7B

Post by rolandrat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:02 am

Your 12 pin plug with the brown cable on it disappearing under the side panel is for the roof speakers indeed!

The 12 pin socket on your AT I is the same like on ATs for amp operation, a bit confusing.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:24 pm

So does my combination of ATI and a Wa have an Amplifier in it? Or does it just have an identical socket which is for monitoring only?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Success!

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:27 pm

I am going to answer my own question...i think! Yes it does have an amp! I have just had the radio powered up with the display lit up and 'static' coming from the speaker on the dashboard which can be adjusted with the colume control and the output from earpiece of the handset (no volume control for that though)! The "Remote Control" panel on the dashboard lights up and the Transmitter can be keyed from the handset PTT (Push to talk) switch.

Kchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh from the speaker and the remote is lit up

The Yellow switch on the dashboard can be used to turn the radio on or off (if the radio is switched in the correct mode).
Under normal receive conditions the Yellow and Red LED are illuminated and when transmitting, the red LED extinuishes and the green LED illuminates.
I obviously didn't TX much as this could interfere with other stuff that uses this band in this country.

The radio panel is illuminated

Funk close up

Testing area

So, it looks like the speaker cable (brown) from the radio goes to the dashboard speaker!! So how and when does the roof speaker work?

So yes i am glad i bought the unit from the Hamfest! :D It has the modules that will do what i want! I may look at modifying one of the radios to use UK Ham radio frequencies.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Alright then, we should make sure that you really have an AT I which definitely has no amp in it. On the photo I just see a Roman I. An AT II in contrast has an amp in it, it is more or less the same block than the required AT VI.

The sockets are all identical.

The brown speaker cable mustn't go to the dash speaker, this speaker is connected to the remote (Bediengerät 78) which on his part is connected (2 black cables) to the junction box under the table.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:32 pm

HI Roland, you are correct of course! I realised this morning that in my excitemement, i didn't actually plug that 12 pin plug (with the brown wire....to the roof speaker) into the AT I !! So the audio was being supplied by the big sockets on the front of the unit for the dash speaker. I can confirm that my AT I has no circuits in it. It just passes stuff through to the Wa and back. I tried quickly this morning to get sounds from the speaker but nothing came out of the roof speaker...but then i am not sure in what mode sound comes from the speaker. Is there a mode where you can speak into the handapparat and have the Fug amplify that and pass that to the roof speaker? Or does the roof speaker just allow people outside the van hear what is being received on the radio. If both of these, how do you switch between these modes?

Yes it is an AT I....now all i need is an AT II. or higher! :D

Just a thought...does the Wa have an amp?

Cheers

John

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Further to this thread...I am planning to fit an amplifier to the AT I to effectively make an AT II. The KEMO 12Watt amplifier block should do the trick. I just need to figure out the input signal routing as i want additional modes such as patching audio from the FM radio or mp3 (Cab Audio) through to the roof speakers.....along with PA announcements from the telephone handset. Will probably need to fit an additional socket on to the AT I for "Cab Audio" input.

I think i need to disable the RF output stage of the transmitter as i don't want that running in any mode currently. :D