FuG 7B

Radio Equipment, Generators, Decontamination gear....
Dubmatix
Site Admin
FuG 7B

Post by Dubmatix » Thu May 21, 2009 9:30 pm

NOw can anyone (Roland?!) tell me which version of the 7B the TEL 80 was fitted with? Were both units the same? I see one version has the built in amplifier for a loudspeaker...is this the version i need? Does that run the roof speakers? Also in the radio area, i have a 12V supply AND a 220V supply. Which supply was the Fug7b normally connected to? ie, did it have a special power supply module that could run off 12V or 220V

I have just got hold of a FuG 7b but i have no power supply, i need to know what to look out for (or what to build! :)

John

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Re: FuG 7B

Post by rolandrat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 am

First of all it depends on the manufacturer of the FuG 7b. Both brands, either TELEFUNKEN or SEL were used in the FüKW-TEL 80.

Both units weren't the same, as the one in the front bench was used to operate the roof speakers.

TELEFUNKEN:
front bench (Funk 2): with a 6/12/24 V transformer (Wandler = Wa) and an end part (Anschlußteil = AT) VI for amp operation
rear bench (Funk 1): with an end part (Anschlußteil = AT) III

SEL:
front bench (Funk 2): with a 6/12/24 V transformer (Wandler = Wa) and a battery tub (Batteriewanne) with a built in 10 W amp
rear bench (Funk 1): with a battery tub (Batteriewanne)

The FuG 7b could be connected either to 12 V or 220 V, hence the two according sockets in each bench. Normally it was connected to 12 V though.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Aha
Thanks Roland, I saw there were different types and that some had speaker amplifiers so that helps a lot. I also figured out that there was an amp missing for the roof PA speakers....and from Custard's wiring layout i figured out that the Front funk (Funk2) must have been a speaker amp version and you have confirmed this!
Now do i try and get a Fug7b VI with Power block so i can use the dashboard remote and PA handset??! Oh yes! :D :D Not for transmitting of course...unless it can be re crystalled.

Cheers

John

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Anybody who wants it totally original should look for an unit with channels 400 - 519.

FuGs with channels 100 - 199 or 600 - 719 are looking the same but were for Bundeswehr use. :mrgreen:

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks Roland, excellent stuff! I will keep a look out on Ebay.de!
There's what looks to be the REAR (Funk 1 position) one (No sprecher amplifier) here...
http://cgi.ebay.de/FuG-7b-BOS-komplett- ... 286.c0.m14

Looks to be a good one.

John

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:04 pm

I was at Hamfest on Saturday....and no it wasn't full of porcine produce :lol: , it was the National Amateur Radio Weekend at Newark. I noticed some Telefunken handheld radios on one stall and then i heard the stall holders accent....German....I suddenly switched in to hunter gatherer mode and scanned the whole stall! I found an FuG7b with two modules attached including a power supply...lets just say it was substantially cheaper than the recent 280 Euro unit on Ebay. When i saw it i wasn't sure about it...so i thought, i need to phone a friend...what time is it in Stuttgart?! :D Needless to say, Roland was very helpful and I bought the radio and a headset which is identical to the one in the TEL 80 manual....except it has two earpieces instead of one....and a weird square plug. Thanks Roland for advising! My phone credit took a pounding!

I will post pics and results of the big switch on tomorrow! :) I also now know which wires in the van are connected up to the PA box....in case anyone fancies patching in to this. Very easy to do with access in the Funk 2 location.

Cheers

John

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:10 pm

My 12V supplies don't like working together so i need to borrow a suitable supply! :roll:

Anyway here's some pics of the experimentation. Note that the small rear module has half of it's case missing, this is to allow jumpering of power cables onto the correct pins as i don't have a power plug that plugs into the 7 pin connector.

The power inlet (left) and the accessory plug (including aux plug) (right).

The plug in the Funk2 area (rear facing bench) that may connec the amplifier to the roof speaker??? Unknown

This one with another (non working)(not correct channels either) for display!
Image Other one has no additional blocks!

The stack! The rear unit (top) is an AT I for 24V installations and the bus should have a different AT version for full functionality (for 12V systems, speaker amp etc) although i am unsure whether i have a speaker amp or not! The Fug7b itslef requires three voltage rails to operate, 24V 12V and 6V and the rear units convert the input supply to the correct voltages. You need the correct rear unit depending how you want to power it up. You can get a mains/netz block that lets you run it off the 220/240V mains/netz instead. It means that the radios all have the same (many pin) connector on the back and that the correct modules are attached to make it work for a given application.

We could do with finding a bus with both in still and getting some detail shots of the blocks! :)
Meanwhile, we will be experimenting!

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:00 pm

This is the pinout of the power inlet plug on the side of the unit if you have the 12V module.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:16 pm

John, you obviously have a FuG with a self-regulating 6/12/24 V transformer (Wandler = Wa) and an end part (Anschlußteil = AT) I, an universal and complete set to run it from any vehicle battery.

The AT I has a 7 pin plug for a special cable to connect it to a BOSCH socket like in the bench. The 12 pin socket aside is just a measuring socket, no audio out to the roof speakers.

The AT I requires the Wa block.

You can use that set in the Funk 1 place, the correct unit though would be a FuG with an AT III. No Wa block required here, the AT III has a built in Wa 12 i.e. is only suitable for 12 V vehicles. Sufficient, as the TEL 80 is running on 12 V.

On the other hand the Wa block was worth to buy. One needs it in the Funk 2 place together with an AT VI which seems to have no built in Wa 12. Couldn't find any further info about the AT VI yet.

The mentioned mains block (Netzstromversorgung = N) was standard on the TEL 80s but stored disconnected under the rear bench, passenger's side (secured by the rubber strap there?!): in case the 12 V vehicle electrical system, the Wa or the ATs fail, at least one FuG can be run by the generator or mains supply. Also for stationary use.

Will confirm next Tue, when I'll visit a THW local group 55 km far from my home which still has a TEL 80 in service! Saw the vehicle parked in their yard by chance and from a far distance heading for Vanfest!! :D

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Roland
Yes i do have the Wandler. Thanks for clarifying. I was not sure what else the Wa block did but presumed it had an inverter to make 24 from 12! This is good to know....not sure it works but hey! I will have more of a play with it over the weekend, hopefully Saturday and get to the bottom of what is where. The 12 pin socket....i am not sure about. The van has a plug that plugs into that socket with what looks like speaker cable on it. If you measure the resistance across the two cores it is around 4 Ohms...a common speaker impedance, it's just a hunch but if that socket is just for monitoring, what is this plug connected into the vans loom for? :?: I will have to try shoving some music down it and see what happens! :mrgreen:
I look forward to the resulst of your investigations too! Take lots of photos as it would be great to see an actual installation.

Cheers

John