CB Install

Mobile Comms
spikeemikey
EVW Addict
CB Install

Post by spikeemikey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Morning Friday 18th Dec 09. Quite a bit more fell overnight. All the doors and locks were frozen. Half a can of deicer and things got moving again.

Ooh can you spot the funky orange aerial? I think it suits the van - CBs were very 80s

Got it from Thunderpole if anyone is after similar. Perfect shade of orange

Cheers

Mike
Attachments
DSCN1373_small.jpg
DSCN1373_small.jpg (118.2KiB)Viewed 15270 times

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: Snow KatS

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 am

Aerial looks good Mike, have you installed the CB yet? (is that a 10-4?) :lol:

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Q

Post by spikeemikey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:59 pm

I test connected the CB - the VSWR was high, over 3, so I am wondering if the cable impedance is wrong as I was reusing the existing aerial link hardwired under the headliner and into the van compartment to the radio tray, it is seriously thick stuff, much larger diameter than the stuff I have seen used with CBs. I will try it with a thinner conventional CB patch lead and see if that brings it down then make a decision, I dont really want to strip out the original though.

Cheers

Mike

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: CB Install

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 pm

I am unsure of the impedance of the original cabling. Though i am getting poor FM radio signal through my Kathrein signal splitter that is supposed to allow Tx/Rx of 400MHz ish RF and FM radio reception on the same aerial. Not sure if it's just combined losses of plugs/sockets + losses in the splitter and a possible impedance mismatch and a detuned aerial! Yes it must be that!
Still, it's good to try to use the original kit where poss! I may try rerouting the cable to the larger central aerial to see if it gives an improvement...after i finish messing with the engine! :roll:

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Post by spikeemikey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:23 pm

With that monster 1.55m Orbitor CB aerial, Samlex DX27 splitter centred on the roof the FM signal is very good

I am stuck in the middle of the front speaker install at the moment. You can get 6.5" speakers in the base of the cab doors in the T3 adjacent to the lower hinge. The door structure nice and deep there.

Cheers

Mike

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 am

Did you end up using alternative Co-ax on this installation Mike? And did you ever discover the impedance of the thicl grey stuff which is probably the same as mine.