Wheel painting

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
custardbomb
EVW Addict
Wheel painting

Post by custardbomb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I would like to try and repaint my steel wheels as part of my 2014 plans to overhaul my van. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have any tips? i.e. Can I do it with the tyres on and mask them or remove them, sand them or sandblast, what's the best finish and what colour although I am sure Roland has posted the colour code so I will find this.

Thanks, Chris

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Re: Wheel painting

Post by rolandrat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:01 pm

VW colour code L091 for silver and RAL 9005 = VW code L041 for black KatS and Feuerwehr rims.

The best bet is to remove the tyres and sandblast the rims, one should be aware of sand remnants in the deepening between the wheel disc and the actual rim tho'.

Masking the tyres works not 100 % but as well:

- first of all an old swivel chair without its backrest comes in handy!

- clean the rims with a BBQ and baking oven cleaner

- sand them with a wet 240 paper

- outside again with a wet 800 paper

- mask the air valve with tape

- and now the clincher (not clincher rim ;) )! Use a set of worn smooth playing cards to mask the tyres

- use primer or not

- spray the inside once and the outside twice. Any good paintshop or car parts supplier should be able to mix the colour and even fill it into spray cans

- after 20 minutes add clear varnish twice as a protection if required. Not sure, if this will destroy the originality, I'd recommend to test it on the inside

custardbomb
EVW Addict

Post by custardbomb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Roland, as ever you are a wealth of knowledge!

I think I will attempt your method with the playing cards, genius! If it doesn't work so well then I will get the sand blasted but I will take my time to make a good finish, however I think the location, profiles and colour would hide any small defects but I will be happier doing it all from start to finish. Were the wheels originally matt which I think they were or gloss finish?

How well did your silver wheels come out?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Not seen that card trick before! I like it! I remember it taking ages to mask up my Marathon wheels with tape and paper. I'll try that card trick next time! (:D

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Yep, the card trick is great but not my invention, to be honest.

Hardly anybody knows it, but I could google this corresponding pic with the Citroen wheel.

I forgot to mention, that the rims were originally neither matt nor glossy but semi-matt. The hidden part under the hubcaps is silver, authenticity fetishists will retain this. ;)