Bundeswehr T3 Camper Conversion

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
eiret25
EVW Addict
Re: Bundeswehr T3 Camper Conversion

Post by eiret25 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Got the flooring today, its a linoleum type material that is hard wearing. Sparkling bits are exaggerated in the photos for some reason. Will be starting the units in the morning

eiret25
EVW Addict

Post by eiret25 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Started with making up the carcass, good strong frame. Butt jointed the joints but used two long screws on each join, also laid out what I need in the units. Gas, cooler etc. and set out space as required.

Cut the birch ply to cover the frame

The birch ply is a quality product. You can cut a strip a few mill thick and it retains its structure. Anyhow here is the front panel coming together. Using flush fit hinges. The front panel will be held using glue and tacks as it is not load bearing, the frame does that job

Fitted in the van on top of the new floor covering. As the van was ex german army, it came fitted from factory with c rails. The unit was fixed to the vehicle by using these rails and fittings that I actually found in the rails acc by 8mm bolts. The rails would have originally held the radio equipment, seating and tables when used in the army. A good sturdy fit.

Wardrobe in and light fitted.

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:53 am

Impressive skills!!! /\:)

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Looks very good 8-)

eiret25
EVW Addict

Post by eiret25 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Now the van is as good as completed. I am a wee bit stuck for time so I am keeping the electrics simple. I had bought a ZIG CF with the view of fitting it along with a hook up etc etc but this will just have to wait. I fitted a 12v socket in the front, and one more has yet to be fitted in the rear for the coolbox. The units are all varnished in a gloss finish. The gloss suits the birch a lot better in my opinion than the dull satin.

As I am converting a vehicle that is classed as an "N1" which is a Goods carrying vehicle not exceeding 3.5t to a passenger carrying vehicle with a special purpose, Class "M1" Bodytype "SA", I must declare it to Revenue by completing this form (and pay them 13.3% of the vehicles worth for the pleasure)
My vehicle was sent to the tester today so should have good news tomorrow all going well, I am also sending it in for its CVRT (Irish TUV, MOT).

stuartrolfe

Post by stuartrolfe » Sat May 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Interesting to hear about the change of class. I have taken my Bundeswehr T25 off the raod as it is subject to the LEZ (London Emission Zone) and hence would cost £100 per day to use (as I am within the LEZ). Don't want to start a discussion on the LEZ but does anybody know if I can reclassify in the UK if I put in a bed and some units. (I take it EireT25 that your in Ireland not UK).
Stuart.

eiret25
EVW Addict

Post by eiret25 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Tá an ceart agat!! Yes, Im from Ireland. Sorry I know nothing about that, but 100 pounds a day......wow that is crazy