Type 4 Engine Strip and rebuild

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
Dubmatix
Site Admin
Re: Type 4 Engine Strip

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:16 am

Maybe i should finish it like this....the best engine/box finish for a KatS?! :lol:

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:01 pm

On a more serious note....just found these babies. This will fit all the Type 4 aircooled engines and makes for easy valve adjustments! $6 shipping to UK.

Silicone Rocker Cover Gaskets :
http://www.gasketinnovations.flyingcart ... 45&cat_id=

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:07 pm

The cam centre bearing seems to have started to break up (the soft surface material has started to come away in chunks). The cam looks to have survived this unscathed but i don't want to risk it in case it is off true and hammering the bearing though it looks more likely to have been an oil issue. So will have to fit a new cam, lifters and bearings and fitting new main bearings too whilst i'm at it as they have picked up some small bits of the cam bearing metal.
The crankcase halves are going for cleaning at a local engine rebuilder soon.
Type IV main bearings are a little scarce at the mo []<O but i should have some in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan.
I'm also taking the opportunity to refinish some of the tinware, clean up the fan housing and check out the fuel tank breathers/filler pipe whilst the engine is out as it saves time later.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:58 pm

Here's the cam centre bearing shells. Note the edge that has lost material.

It's a common type 4 engine failure and i guess i'll be very careful what oil i use in the future! SD/SE rated for me. That's got enough ZDDP....there is a LOT of chatter about this new issue of reduction of ZDDP in motor oils to meet modern emissions standards...it's not so good for our old engines.

The new cam will have to be broken in at 1800rpm(engine speed) for 15 minutes :o ...my neighbours will love that! :oops:

Managed to removed the spline bolts holding the fuel pump to one of the case halves but still not got the oil pressure relief valve cover off. It's a swine and very stuck! []<O :(/ Will try impact wrench tomorrow!

abusbro
EVW Addict

Re: Type 4 Engine Strip and rebuild

Post by abusbro » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Glad you've got to the root of the problem, guess you'll need to keep stripping down to see where else them pesky metal bits have got to?! Rather you than me tackling that project, it would drive me... %(

Anyway whilst the engine's out why not consider an upgrade, this one was in a Bug at Spa, would look sweet in the back of your KatS... /\:)

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Sweet engine bay....that would look nice in the bug! :)
And well, actually the idea of an upgrade has not passed me by... :D The cam is a slightly torquier grind for buses. :twisted:

The oil pressure relief valve cover is off!\:)/ piston and spring are out and no debris in there but there are a few weird swirls on the oil pressure relief piston. Pics soon

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:15 pm

More pics
The engine case halves

The Crank

The odd marks on the oil pressure relief valve piston

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:17 pm

/\:) The case is pristine and has had the main oil gallery plugs removed, the holes threaded and inspection plugs fitted. Excellent work by Stateside Tuning. Good service, quality work and flexible too. Highly recommended for Type 4 engine works.
The heads have gone there for a refresh too so with them back i'll just sit tight until the bearing situation changes so i can start the rebuild.

http://www.statesidetuning.co.uk/

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 pm

\:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ \:)/
YEEEAY!!
I have some bearings!!! :D :D :D :D :D /\:)

I'm slightly happy! :D

It's a set of std/std mains that have just been taken out of a sub 600 mile engine! Wohoo!

Thanks to James at Stateside for rescuing them from a crank swap engine that needed larger ones. That's made my week!

\:)/

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:30 am

Congrats!!!

Seems to be a good time for parts right now, this morning I was given a set of stock T2/T3 wheels for free at least by the boss (a creedal Bus fan) of a VW dealership. /\:)