Paint restoration

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
spikeemikey
EVW Addict
Paint restoration

Post by spikeemikey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Guys

So I have launched into restoring Helga's paintwork, so I can see what its really like when I colour match the paint for touching up the stone chips and various other paint defects.

I bought a very cheap orbital polisher, that isnt really capable of cutting hard, which the van doesn't need and I would be a little scared of. It's 20 pounds at Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&ts=11961

A three stage process:

In all three steps I applied the compound or wax with a cloth then buffed off with the polisher and/or by hand.

1) Restore paint with CarPlan T-Cut Original. On the bigger flat surfaces I used the polisher, then finished by hand, and did all the smaller intricate stuff by hand.

2) Polish with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. Same technique as above.

3) Wax with Meguiar's Direct Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax. Again same technique.

It took three days of about 5hrs a day to do the whole van including the roof. I am really pleased with the results, and I got a nice suntan in the process. I am sure she is looking a lot shinier and deeper orange than when she was decommissioned 4 years ago.

Does anybody have any tips on good waxes? The Meguiar's seems quite durable, and the water beads-up nicely after getting caught in the rain. I would like to apply a coat or two of a wax with good UV protection, given how sunny its suddenly got, and just for the long-term.

Cheers

Mike
Attachments
helga.jpg
helga.jpg (48.57KiB)Viewed 21810 times

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: Paint restoration

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:50 pm

She's looking good Mike, very bright! That's taken some doing, at least it's been nice weather for it.
I've not used a polisher yet but if i was doing the whole van i would. I think Bus Bros must have TCut the paint back to bring it up before i bought it as it was full on bright when i got it. I have been using....and seriously i do not have shares in this place!...Bilt Hamber wax. It goes on easily, gives a wet look gloss shine, water beads well (might not be good for your silk finish, you'd have to try it) and buffs up really easily with no tendency to smear.
I've not done the whole van at once. I kind of treat it like the Forth bridge!

I only ended up with the wax as i was ordering some of their derusting stuff (Deox Gel) and a couple of other bits and they were doing Bundle offers. I would defo get it again though.

Slightly o/t but still....I have since your last post on derusting, tried using malt vinegar to derust some old bolts, washers, battery clamp and brake pushrod off the bug....it worked well, left it in for a week, scrubbed clean with an old toothbrush, rinsed, dried and oiled or painted. Result! So it's a thumbs up for derusting dunkable objects with vinegar. Just make sure it's well rinsed afterwards!

Did you get some paint mixed yet Mike?

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Post by spikeemikey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:53 am

Hi John

Thanks for the info on the malt vinegar. I will try it.

Paint - I did get a small pot of paint mixed by Halfrauds the end of last year. They had to get it mixed off-site as the formula contained some ingredients (likely lead containing) that aren't allowed to handle. I will try it on a few of the more inconspicuous spots and see if its close enough, otherwise I will go down the custom route.

Halfords had no idea what RAL 2004 was they did however have L26Q in their system.

That polisher is fine if you feel the need for one. It was similar in design but quite a bit cheaper than the Halfords one.

Cheers

Mike

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 pm

One thing with the vinegar Mike, just be careful not to but different metals in there. You'll get an electolytic reaction and one part may get seriously eroded! Some washer i put in turned to star washers! :lol: