Type 4 Engine Lower Tinware Refurb

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
spikeemikey
EVW Addict
Type 4 Engine Lower Tinware Refurb

Post by spikeemikey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi Guys

This has turned into a real saga. I noticed some rust on the two lowest pieces of tinware ducting air over the bottom of the engine. I should have got to it in January.

Well early May Bank Holiday I finally removed them. A close examination revealed things were pretty bad. So I

1) Degreased them, even the oil front the leaky pushrod guide tube oils seals wasnt enough to protect them. I used some Swarfega 'Heavy Duty Surface Cleaner' product. Good Value at about 12 pounds for 5 litres.

2) Stripped remaining paint with standard green tin Nitromors.

3) Multiple rounds of Bilt Hamber Deox Gel to dissovle rust. Given how thin the metal had gotten anything too heavy was out.

Once fully stripped there were some small perforations evident on the worst affected piece.

Mike
Attachments
DSCN1490_small.jpg
As removed from the van
DSCN1490_small.jpg (35.25KiB)Viewed 13876 times
DSCN1496_small.jpg
Close-up just after starting the many rounds of Deox Gel rust dissolving
DSCN1496_small.jpg (26.06KiB)Viewed 13876 times
DSCN1502_small.jpg
Fully stripped of rust.
DSCN1502_small.jpg (25.98KiB)Viewed 13876 times

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Re: Type 4 Engine Lower Tinware Refurb

Post by spikeemikey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Guys

With all the rust gone, I was surprised there was anything left on the worst side! I coated all over with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 rust converter as it seemed impossible to get every last molecule of rust out, even after two weeks of continuous treatment. Then I patched (hopefully) the perforations with Evo-Stick metal epoxy. Its high temp stuff can be used on exhausts etc, and I was pretty impressed (as long as it holds).

The repair was then rubbed down by file and coarse sandpaper prior to painting.

Mike
Attachments
DSCN1503_small.jpg
Close-up of the perforations
DSCN1503_small.jpg (25.86KiB)Viewed 13875 times
DSCN1505_small.jpg
Evo-Stick Metal Expoxy applied.
DSCN1505_small.jpg (25.8KiB)Viewed 13875 times
DSCN1507_small.jpg
Close-up of metal ppoxy rubbed down.
DSCN1507_small.jpg (22.85KiB)Viewed 13875 times

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Post by spikeemikey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Guys

I painted up with U-Pol Grey Primer from a can, from the local Wilcos motor store almost 2 pounds a can cheaper than Halfords Grey Primer. I flatted back, then decided to brush on Halfords Engine Enamel from a tin price was right and I have got a good thick paint layer which would have cost a fortune from the rattle cans.

I think I flatted back 3 times in the end, and that was enough to fill most of the surface irregularities.

I am now baking off the paint in the oven at 70 Celcius, to harden it up overnight quickly, so I can get on the move again. Hopefully its tough enough to take whatever the roads throw up in the spring. I will paint it with underseal in a week or two, and remember to renew regularly after what a saga this one has been!

I quite like that Halfords Engine Enamel. About 6 pounds for a 250 ml tin. It reminds me of the old Hammerite paints before they reformulated to lower the VOC content and changed the solvent to something innocuous. I think its acetone now (which is crap!). I might try repainting the black door handles of the van, if it holds up on the tinware. They have lost their blackness from years of use, but replacing them would be madness purely on cosmetic grounds.

Cheers

Mike
Attachments
DSCN1520_small.jpg
Final result 2-3 coats grey primer (sprayed) and 2-3 coats of engine enamel (brushed)
DSCN1520_small.jpg (27.15KiB)Viewed 13875 times
DSCN1521_small.jpg
Close-up of the repaired area.
DSCN1521_small.jpg (23.72KiB)Viewed 13875 times

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Looks good Mike. Not seen that high temp epoxy before. I think that should last well as you have done pretty much all you can to get rid of the rust.
And again, i considered doing my RHS one of these as i removed it when i was messing with the thermostat and noticed it could do with a bit of attention. So this will come in handy when i get round to actually doing them!

Interesting that you are using Deox Gel, it's good stuff, i've used it a few times too. I tried the vinegar method (mentioned on here I think) to dissolve rust that had coated my Bug Master Cylinder mounting bolt spacers (they fit between the two skins of the bulkhead to take the throughbolt pressure without distorting the panels) and the brake pushrod. It works very well, left them in Malt vinegar for a week and then brushed them to shiny steel with a toothbrush in about 5 mins. A useful alternative to Deox C (the powdered form of Deox Gel for immersion derusting).
I have primered those with Bonda Primer and will Black Smoothrite them next.

Also interesting that you used primer under your hight temperature enamel. That should be ok on the tinware but anywhere hotter may cause the primer to burn under the high temp paint.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

John

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Post by spikeemikey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks John.

Yeah I was wondering about the primer myself! Hopefully it will hold up. I got a few very rust spots on the upper side of the engine tinwear. I think I will 'Hydrate 80' first and ask questions later. I really like that stuff. It converts the rust and then seals it up in a plasticy layer. Its hard to get s smooth finish with it though.

Cheers

Mike