KatS Curtain Refurb

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
Dubmatix
Site Admin
KatS Curtain Refurb

Post by Dubmatix » Mon May 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Or, it's Monday and I have the day off soooo....

Sounds a bit daft but if you are attempting to continue using the original KatS curtains, then you will almost certainly know why they need a bit of TLC
It's the press studs (poppers) and their corrosion! I think it's caused by dissimilar metals and moisture from the air but it also affects the body mounted parts too.

If you're lucky enough to have curtains that are reasonably good, not too faded but have a few iffy press studs then these can be easily changed using the little kits from Dunelm Mill (in the UK). I did a few today and then decided to replace all of them ( except for the ones the sliding door curtain which seems to avoid the worst of the corrosion probably due to being folded up all the time).

I bought the kit that contains 10 press studs and the corresponding parts for the bodywork (of which i have only used a couple) and comes with a plastic (with metal inserts) tool. This tool works very well and three or four clouts with a wooden mallet soon peen over the brass 'rivet' to make a nice neat job of it. There's no need to buy the £8 tool.

You just need to be careful when removing your old ones, most of the corroded ones simply stayed on the body stud leaving only half of the popper on the curtain. I took a picture of the last one which was still intact though very corroded externally and was the hardest to remove of all of them! Typical!

I did think about sticking the curtains through the washing machine but i was concerned that their age might cause colour bleed or worse that they might just fall to bits or go a bit brittle. So i just hoovered (Dyson'd!) them instead :D

To reduce the number of pictures, both sides in one! Apologies for blurring, it's camera shake as it was daylight lit...