Windscreen Surround Rust

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
Dubmatix
Site Admin
Windscreen Surround Rust

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:03 pm

I've finally got round to taking out the windscreen and sorting out the rust!

She's out of action again until this is sorted! this wee hole is the worst bit...i was expecting worse so this is a pleasant surprise!

Borrowed a compressor and shotblaster to clean up the rust patches before coating with a couple of coats of Bonda primer (it comes highly recommended...Google it!)

I got some RAL2004 mixed and is ready to go on once the primer is done.

More pics to follow.

spikeemikey
EVW Addict

Re: Windscreen Surround Rust

Post by spikeemikey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Very interesting. I have a few seems I will need to do something similar with.

Cheers

Mike

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks Mike, I'll try and keep it concise....but i missed taking photos of the bonda primer bit.

So started with rotary wire brush......then shot blasted the rust patches until nice and metallic looking.
This is how the blasted area comes out....

Some harder to get to areas I use Bilt Hamber's excellent Deox Gel (which i used to on the PA box grille) to remove any remaining rust. You leave this Gel on for half hour-hour and then wipe away...along with the rust leaving shiny (pitted) metal.

See how well it works here http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosionremoval.html
I use their wax too.

Then wiped the whole area over with panel wipe (available from your local vehicle paint supplier for about 7 quid for 5litres).

Then brushed on a coat of (red) Bonda Primer, followed by another a couple of hours later.

I did this in stages to minimise exposure of the bare steel to air/moisture as shown here.

Next step (Next Day)was a quick key of the Bonda primer with scotch pad and then some nice thick coats of grey primer to lift the levels up a bit.

Now plenty of rubbing down with 800 grit wet/dry paper and filling of pock marks with cellulose putty (knifing putty from Halfrauds) which is like a gooey thick mix of primer that you use like filler for small recesses which, when set allows you to rub it down to a perfect smooth finish.

That's where i am now....i need to rub the knifing putty down and get a nice perfect pock free finish (at least on the visible bits!). This is the time consuming part!

The process above has taken place in 1-2 hour slots in some evenings for the last week or two...

Will post some more pics for this shortly...

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 pm

This was after the grey primer and lots of flatting down.

First coats of orange went on, i got a couple of runs (i 'm no sprayer but i like to try these things!) which have now hardened and i am flatting these down in readiness for a couple of light top coats.