Annoying Engine Idle

Been tinkering in the garage again? Post it here.
Dubmatix
Site Admin
Re: Annoying Engine Idle

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Bus still off the road with one HE off and exhaust off. It's easier to access the stat if i don't put this back in yet! Stat on it's way so just sitting tight and waiting! It's hard graft this car maintenance! I have spent more time on the laptop chasing up leads for possible used Stats!
Mind you it's been chuffing freezing outside...not good spannering weather!

J

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Is it me?
have been trawling for a decent thermostat lately ( Type4 VW Part No. 021 119 159A, 85-90 degrees C) as you may know if following my monologue thread. Found one and sorted now, but in my quest, i made an enquiry at Wahler to see if they could produce a short run and if so how much etc.

They replied to say that they have cannot make these again as they have scrapped the tooling!! :o :cry:
Now donating/selling it to a club or selling it to some enterprising individual would have been a lot more sensible methinks...the world's gone mad!

J

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:11 pm

To break your monologue thread:

It took me a certain time, but finding a new thermostat for the Type 4 engine seems to be a world-wide problem! Only used and NOS ones available, if ever.

germansupply recommends to modify a Type 1 one, better than nothing.

www.germansupply.com/xcart/.../home.php?...

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks for the tip Roland. German Supply seem to be pretty good with harder to find parts...they even had some Type IV thermostats in....and then some of the hotter Type I type. Also they are based in Toronto....which is handy as i have friends and family there! :)
In fact if you need anything from there i can get it and bring it back in June...if it's not too big!