4. Feuerwehr-Oldtimertreffen Schorndorf 2010

Been to a show big or small, post your pics here.
rolandrat
Super Moderator
4. Feuerwehr-Oldtimertreffen Schorndorf 2010

Post by rolandrat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Unfortunately I couldn't make it for BSO, but the 4th vintage Feuerwehr meeting in Schorndorf was a fair compensation. With over 100 vehicles it's the biggest event of this type in southern Germany.

Makes like Borgward, Chevrolet, DKW, Ford, Hanomag, Magirus, MAN, Mercedes and Opel were on the spot, but not a single VW though!

Anyway, here we go:

Schorndorf's medieval marketplace was the centre of the exhibition. Note Württemberg flags on several vehicles

A good selection of ladder trucks

No VW, but air-cooled at least. Note the according fan behind the grill

My favourite, a '66 Magirus mobile crane

'70 Tranny Mk I in private hands. Door letterings mean 'retired Feuerwehr'

The predecessor of the mentioned, a '65 Taunus Transit. A TSF = Tragkraftspritzenfahrzeug = portable fire pump vehicle

'59 DKW Munga KdoW = Kommandowagen = command car. Note the two lollipops

Another Munga from the LSHD = Luftschutzhilfsdienst. A progenitor of the KatS! Note convoy flag

3-cyl. 2-stroke engine!

Nice radiator mascot on a '27 Chev Capitol

Opel Blitz. Note FuG 7b with lightweight handset and lollipop

Classic Merc ladder. During the 3rd Reich the Feuerwehr became part of the police, hence the green colour

Photos courtesy of Jutta Gogolla

This one was missing, on the other hand the local private owner brought two other vehicles for display. Wrong choice?

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: 4. Feuerwehr-Oldtimertreffen Schorndorf 2010

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Looks like a good show Roland. Cracking location in the middle of the town, very pretty!

I like those Mungas, and interesting what you said about the precursor to the KatS, the LSHD. That translates to....Air Protection Corps? ish...

That fan in that aircooled truck is huge....are you sure it's not a jet engine? :lol:

Thanks for posting these Roland, it's a shame he left the '55 VW at home though...

John

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:33 pm

PS The Tranny is excellent....you really don't see those any more as they have all rusted away!
:lol:

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm

great pics roland, looks like a top day out, i do like the merc ladder truck 8-)

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:14 pm

It was a top day out indeed!

LSHD translates to 'air-raid protection aid agency', it was a civil air defence organization. I think, I'll start a separate thread to introduce it.

The Magirus fan actually looks like a jet engine, but belongs to a decorous V6 Diesel engine. The trademark refers to Ulm Cathedral BTW, it has the highest church tower in the world.

As for the Tranny: we nickname them 'Transe', which interestingly enough has the same meaning!

The green Merc's door markings even show swastikas, historically correct but a smack of bitter ...

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:38 am

That would be good with the LSHD.

Interesting about the logo, a mate of mine went to Ulm as a placement for University. He loved it. But he did have a bad experience when he went to rent a van...i've no idea why, he just asked how much the Transe was by the hour?!! :lol: only kidding but it's funny that the slang word for transit has the same meaning in German and English...

Aircooled V6 power....that would go nicely in the bus!

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:41 am

Good joke! :lol:

This MATCHBOX model I owned back in the 60s might explain my partiality for the Magirus crane (their DEUTZ engine would go nicely in the Bus indeed):

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:58 am

A mate sent me this pic of a Magirus motorhome with two Splitties on top. Weird!

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm

That is weird! Some people have too much time (and hard to get VWs!) on their hands! It is aircooled though?!

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 am

The Magirus is a former firetruck and air-cooled for sure. One reason to prefer them for the fire service, where the engine is likely to run for hours operating the pump. Whereas professional lorry drivers didn't like them due to the noise level. :x

This and similar pics on www.wagendorf.de