1956 Krankenwagen (South Africa)

Post some photos of your EVW here and tell us about it.
jolas
EVW Addict
1956 Krankenwagen (South Africa)

Post by jolas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Greetings from South Africa, as promised in my intro, here are some pics of my 1956 ambulance ..............

Will also post a link to the South African VW Aircooled forum, you can follow my story there if you are interested ......

Cheers

Paul

jolas
EVW Addict

Re: 1956 Krankenwagen (South Africa)

Post by jolas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 pm

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

I know this sounds a bit odd, but, it doesn't that bad considering the state it's in!!! %( %( %(

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 am

lmpd wrote:I know this sounds a bit odd, but, it doesn't that bad considering the state it's in!!! %( %( %(
Hi Impd, do you mean it does'nt look that bad ? I would agree, it certainly is'nt a candidate for the scrap yard. The body is pretty solid and rust free. The chassis and sills, jacking points, etc, etc, need major work/replacement.
For now I just want to collect all the parts I need while I work on my '59 bus. Then my mission will be to work on the body only, and get it mobile again (I have already had a 1100 motor rebuilt for it, busy having an exhaust and silencer fabricated now). The biggest challenge is to get it back into ambulance status. We are pretty limited here in ZA as far as parts, collecters, swopmeets, suppliers are concerned. With our exchange rate and shipping costs, buying in from Europe, USA, etc, etc is extremely expensive ........
But all in good time. This one HAS to be saved and preserved for the next generation. I have a lead on 2 patient warning buttons and the buzzer, also possibly the jailbars - thats the latest bit of good news. My hunt for the '55/'57 tail lights goes on though. Cheers - thanks for the interest 8-)

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry, that is exactly what I mean't - I really should read my posts before I submit!!! e:(

It'll be a year or two before I'm down that way again, but, if I can source anything for you and if I can get it into a suitcase - I'll be quite happy to bring it!!! :D

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 am

hehehehe - thanks Impd ! Your offer is kind indeed, at this stage, anything related to a '56 ambo, interior wise, I need and will consider< it has been stripped bare. On the outside I need the red cross roof mounted light and '55/57 tail lights - I understand that these tail lights are rather difficult to find even on your side of the world.
Let me know if there is anything you need from the Cape side of ZA ! And also let me know when you plan to visit the Cape, I'll fetch you from the airport in an "appropriate" vehicle 8-)
Cheers !

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 am

Do you need the blue light and/or the illuminated Red Cross sign?

I once grabbed two of them Red Cross signs because the one on my T3 Krankenwagen was missing, so I got a spare if nothing turns up.

BaronVonKronken's ambulance on the forum might be a good guide for you as it is a '56, too! :idea:

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Roelandrat

Thank you, i have just replied to John in the other thread, :lol:

Yes the red cross light is missing, I'm sure I can fabricate something, but nothing would beat the real one ! I would definetly consider buying it from you.

In South Africa, the ambulances and fire services use red lights and beacons, blue is strictly reserved for the police and law enforcement. I do have a red one, it looks correct but will definetly ask for opinions on this forum. I suspect the bus originally did'nt have the beacon but most municipalities back in the day did their own "upgrades", so it is'nt entirely wrong to have it fitted (certainly looks better :twisted: )

BaronVonKronken's bus and website, pics, etc have been invaluable to me \:)/ - thanks for the headsup there !

Cheers

jolas
EVW Addict

Post by jolas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 am

Btw are there pics of your T3 Krankenwagen here somewhere ?

abusbro
EVW Addict

Post by abusbro » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Jolas,

Came across a couple of threads on another forum, may or may not be of interest in your quest for parts:

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88159

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87854

Good luck with the project, more than i would like to take on, but will look cool when finished 8-)