FüKW-TEL 80 - Standard

The guide to the various types of VW's converted for Katastrophenschutz use by Brunn of Bonn.

Please post a vehicle type along with description and maybe a pic or two for good measure.
Dubmatix
Site Admin
FüKW-TEL 80 - Standard

Post by Dubmatix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Based on Kombi's (Type 23) supplied by VW and converted by Brunn in Bonn. Total produced 112

Fitted with twin Telefunken FuG7b radio's, roof aerials and telescopic mast, map table, generator, fuel can, power cable spool, isolation transformer with breakers, twin batteries with 220/12V converter for battery charge/12V supply. The radios could be configured in a number of different ways. One configuration was to provide a temporary relay base station to patch a faulty base station in the fixed network. The others Roland may be able to infill the rest! :D My translation from the manual on this section is sketchy!

Common features to look out for on these buses are the flag mounts on the B posts and cable entry flap on the N/S.

On the Rear Nearside corner, there would also have been a coaxial socket for connecting the mast-top crook antenna (Connector is a DIN 7 16). Note the extra blank to allow "parking" of the screw on cover when the a actual socket is in use.

And a warning plate stating that "A hard hat must be worn when extending the mast" and "The antenna must be stowed before driving."

Inside the tailgate, the slide out tray would house the generator, isolation transformer, coax cable extension reel (for the mast mounted antenna), mains cable spool and fuel can. Some were retro fitted with fax/telephone equipment and had an extra spool of cable for this which was mounted by the document slots inside the sliding door. The four holes can sometimes be seen in this area where this was removed. Some fire stations moved theirs to the slide out tray by moving some of the other equipment around.

The original interior with the Gloria fire extinguisher on the bulkhead. Most of these were located in the rear bench seat although mine has the screw holes in the bulkhead for the bracket so may have been move to the bench whilst in service.
Original

And a later photo with the Extinguisher moved and the later Fax/Telephone drum retro fitted (along with a one off cupboard hanging on the bulkhead and the table extension removed) in this case)

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: FüKW-TEL 80 - Standard

Post by Dubmatix » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Updated.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:01 am

The warning plate furthermore says, that a hard hat is to wear when extending the mast.

It's the crook antenna, which has to be stowed before driving, not the mast. :lol:

Sometimes the fire stations/THW bucked this order and fitted an extra DIY crook antenna support to avoid its rotation. ;)

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Roland, i've updated that. Interesting mod -the crook anti rotation device...how did they do it?

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:04 am

They used a round metal sleeve according to the crook antenna's diameter. This was easily mounted to the car body in using the mast bracket's fixing points.

If mine didn't end up in the bin I'll post a pic.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:26 pm

In the bin???? :shock: :lol: You should hang on to those Roland...i know that they can me made easily but even so!!

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:44 pm

I like it original and hence there was no need for it ... :|

On the other hand I'm Swabian and Swabians are thrifty and never throw anything away which could be needed some day. :lol:

I'll have a look.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Success, I found the DIY crook anti rotation device!

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 am

Nice one Roland, that Swabian thrift paid off! Looks pretty well made to me....it would pass as bit of Brunn kit! Especially looking at some of the fabricated metal parts such as the metal coverplate under the power panel which on mine at least was quite roughly made.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:03 am

It actually looks very sound.