Unbelievable crash

Have a natter here.
rolandrat
Super Moderator
Re: Unbelievable crash

Post by rolandrat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:31 pm

A stock flat 4 water boxer, 92 h.p. 2.1 litre, with a catalytic converter - still the original engine by the way.

All them water boxers sound a bit like a Porsche, especially when accelerating.

I know Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Machine but what the heck is scooby power?

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 pm

scooby power is a subaru engine mate :|

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:06 pm

:D Sorry, using slang terms! Yep as Impd said, Scooby = Subaru. That would be the ultimate mystery machine... a T3 painted up as per the cartoon....with Scooby power too! 8-) Now where did i see that T3 panel Mystery machine....hmmm!

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Alright then, another slang term learned! Thanks for the info, guys.

Nicknames for Jap cars seem to be common, in NZ they called our Mitsubishi rental camper a Mitsi. Not very stylish, I know, there's even a company offering Type 2s but they are much more expensive to hire, www.kiwikombis.com. Another one is www.classic-campers.com.

Subaru engines fit a VW van very well; backwards it even spells U R A BUS ... :geek:

The T3 panel Mystery Machine was on display at Vanfest. When googling it one will find a whole bunch of other makes of real vans.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 pm

2nd attempt to visit the THW (only official opportunity is Tuesday evenings).

Unfortunately the van is parked in a dark corner of the yard at the mo and it started pouring down. So just a few lousy pics. :(

Furthermore I discovered, that nearly all the equipment has been removed a few years ago; the vehicle was supposed to be taken out of service but this decision was cancelled for some reason.

The FüKW-TEL 80 seems to be in good rust free condition. Just a few inevitable dents. Nice letterings. The original mirrors replaced by T3 ones to achieve a better backsight, yuk.

Another appointment will be arranged though to avoid the busy Tuesday evenings. :D
Attachments
DSC00401.JPG
DSC00401.JPG (201.98KiB)Viewed 17883 times
DSC00402.JPG
DSC00402.JPG (175.12KiB)Viewed 17883 times
DSC00399.JPG
DSC00399.JPG (164.64KiB)Viewed 17883 times

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 pm

Nice one Roland, it looks a good one, nice to see them still in service! It's a shame they have stripped some of the stuff out already. :cry: I wonder if they would notice if the Hirschmann mast went missing....they don't need it any more! :lol:

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

2nd THW visit yesterday :D . Special thanks to their chief Steffen Bandle, who appeared earlier considering a busy evening to enable us some daylight pics and a brief film of their whole fleet which will be posted after cutting it!

As one will notice the HIRSCHMANN mast is off now :( . They stored it for future use. Nevertheless the T2 is still in service. Hard to come across one these days. Found one minor rust spot to weld under the passenger's door :( .

Nice classic Merc conventional in the background, a tipper

Note redundant lead substitute bottle in glove box

Note after market battery main switch, also known as 'NATO bone'

Note KatS lollipop

Oops, blurred

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 pm

After our THW visit I picked up some eBay items in the neighbourhood. The seller, who knew about that visit, surprised me with this neat gift, a THW Type 181 1:87 model made by WIKING.

Unfortunately a bit blurred due to my poor digicam. I'd like to post it anyway.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Nice set of photos Roland! She looks to be in good nick generally. Shame she doesn't have all the equipment :( It would have been interesting to see the mast bracket close up from a few different angles too.

I hope they didn't remove the mast after reading my joke on my previous post... :oops: :lol:

I wonder why they cancelled the decommissioning? Good news though, great to see it is still in service. Do you know what they are using it for now?

Also....what is the bracket/plate on the floor next to the document storage shelves?

and what is the label behind the window winder handle?

oooh and the lollipop!! I need to make one!!

Also i am going to break this up a bit and move/copy your model to model section.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Post by rolandrat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 am

I can do some mast bracket shots from our own FüKW-TEL 80.

Don't think your joke was responsible for the removal, lol. Reason was the hilly topography of the Mühlacker area. A mast like this improves radio communication in case of a skip zone.

At the mo the Bus is kind of a multi-purpose vehicle. Her days seem to be numbered though. Decommissioning is a top-down decision ...

The floor bracket is the mounting support for the telephone cable drum delivered in addition to all FüKW-TEL 80s. I suppose, that according to that this bracket was always mounted later. See the 'General Discussion - The most complete EVER!' thread.

The door card label is a list of local radio call signs.

The movement of the 181 to the model section makes sense, one reason for me to post it separately.