***DEPOSIT TAKEN***1986 Feuerwehr Syncro - 'Flo'

If you need parts or (wholes!) or have some spares to share, seen on ebay that might be useful, post here.
cleagarr
***DEPOSIT TAKEN***1986 Feuerwehr Syncro - 'Flo'

Post by cleagarr » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Due to a change in work circumstances and ill-health in my family it is with great reluctance that we are forced to sell ‘Flo’, our 1986 former German Fire Service hightop Syncro (Left Hand Drive).

I have a lot of receipts for work done but would not call it a complete history (I’m just terrible at keeping bits if paper safe), including the original German log book with loads of German service stuff in it.

When she was imported from Germany she had covered 36,000km and was in perfect condition. The previous owner did an excellent initial conversion – what follows is the text of his advert,

“Converted from an ex German fire service radio vehicle. It is left hand drive.

Finished to a very high standard.

Before I bought this van in Germany it was kept by the German volunteer fire brigade (Feuerwehr)
In a heated garage and fully serviced. When I bought it it had done 69000 km and was a basic Caravelle syncro.

I have serviced the van regularly and used it on my daily commute for its whole life with me.

I imported the van in December 2007, since then I have driven about 100000km bringing the total kilometres to 158000km

After I imported it; I stripped out all of the interior trim, waxoyled and fitted a double layer of aluminised bubble insulation inside every panel. This is the very best defense against "the dreaded seam rot" which should therefore never be an issue on this van, it prevents condensation inside the panels and protects against any that does occur. Having owned 4 T25 vans I didn't want this very nice van to go the way of so many campers, rusting from the inside out. (see pictures for panel treatment).

I then fitted a very clean westfalia interior including swivel captain seats, servicing all parts before fitting.

The high top was added (at the cost of the blue light I'm afraid) to add another double bunk to the standard rock and roll bed. The high top was lined with marine quality insulated head linings and a very voluminous front locker was fitted.”

Since I have owned it I have done the following and you will see that I fitted it out as a full-on wild camper with go-anywhere capability thanks to the Syncro. You also see that I clearly have not done all this to sell it on – I wanted to keep this van forever. Things change I guess;

- Current mileage is 181,000km (which is 112,000 miles) – nothing for these beasts. This will go up as I use the van pretty much daily.
- Had an LPG conversion by Gasure Chester – saving a fortune on fuel bills.
- Had LPG leisure tank fitted by Gasure – saving a fortune on gas barbecue bills.
- Brand new Propex heater fitted a few months ago by Gasure.
- Fitted 100w solar panel and duel battery control unit to keep everything topped up.
- EPAS fitted in last 12 months – steering is much easier than ever it was – I got this due a neck condition and it has been a godsend.
- I have also fitted a Waeco compressing fridge and 230ah battery pack that is charged by a Sterling alternator-battery charger (supplied by Campervan Culture). This has meant that we get constantly cold food – even in the south of France and when used alongside the solar we never need hookup. The longest we went without driving was four days and the fridge/all other leisure functions were still going strong, freezing ice pops and cooling beers!
- Pull out chopping board fitted above fridge.
- New 240v hookup fitted in last two months.
- Made it generally a bit more “homey” e.g. cladding the door cards with bright material and adding a full set of curtains.
- There is also a full set of thermo blinds to add insulation in the winter.
- Added an extra 3-point seat belt and jump seat with toilet space so there are now 5 3-point belts and adult-sized seats in the van in the van.
- Fitted a new exhaust (now three years ago)
- Fitted new water pump, thermostat, HT leads, ignition coil, starter motor.
- New choke pull down, accelerator pump and vacuum advance fitted at start of year.
- New starter battery and leisure battery three months ago.
- New tap and water pump.
- DAB/CD radio fitted (runs off leisure battery)
- There is an original Westfalia tow bar fitted.
- At the moment it is running on 14” rims with All Terrain tyres fitted – these have done less than 2000 miles. I also have a set of normal van tyres that have done around 6000 miles. I also have a set of spare wheels.
- I removed the horrendous (in my opinion) spare wheel holder when I reverted to 14” rims – if you see any pictures with this on it is now removed and given away.
- I have a bunk bed that spans the front seats to fit the third child in (paid £70 for in January). This is available in the sell if the buyer wants it.
- I also have a sliding door mosquito net available if the buyer wants (paid £50 for in April).
- New wing mirrors fitted in June.
- New flooring fitted this summer.
- There are lots of spares included in the sale including; accelerator cable, two wheel bearing kits, spare wheel tray, starter motor in need of renovation (can be used as trade-in against a new one) and other stuff I’ll dig out.

The condition of the van is very good as anyone who has seen it will report. I have not off-roaded it rather I have used the 4WD to get to places other campers can’t reach! It is also amazing in the snow!

The price I’m asking reflects the complete nature of the van and is, of course, open to offers. If you would rather have the original Westy fridge refitted then I will happily remove the Waeco and Sterling.

My family and I are genuinely gutted to see Flo go and are so sad that in our last year of ownership we have had to cancel so many 80-90 meet-ups due to ill health. You can see her in action on our France trip last year at the blog my wife wrote here: http://cleagarr.blogspot.co.uk/

I recently had the van valued for insurance purposes by Steve at Gasure and decided a value of £8950 (see photo). This is my asking price. Viewings welcome. PM me on here and I’ll pass you my phone details.

The curtain are now fully lined dark blue not red as here:

Romans 5: 8; unconditional love.