1975 firebus with a difference for sale

If you need parts or (wholes!) or have some spares to share, seen on ebay that might be useful, post here.
dubberlover
1975 firebus with a difference for sale

Post by dubberlover » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Formally a 1975 VW Baywindow Katastrophenshutz /Foyervagen
Disaster Control Crew vehicles 1600cc
Photos at http://s945.photobucket.com/user/dubberlover/slideshow/

This bus is exceptional and practically unique,
The German Government ordered just over 100 Katastrophenshutz Disaster Control vehicles between 1976 and 1981, which were to be held in reserve at Fire Stations all over North and West Germany. Most of these were the later T25 models, but around 45 were the last of the German built Type 2 Bay Window vans. This particular van left the VW production line at the end of 1975.From the factory it went to Brunn-Bonn for further conversion and sprayed orange Then eventually went to PINNEBERG nr Hamburg in Northern Germany where she had a cosseted life in service, as a Katastrophenshutz Disaster Control Crew vehicle where she was stored in a dry and heated fire station. In 1980 the bus was de-commissioned and became a fire service support vehicle. No expense was spared by the Feuerwehr (German Fire Brigade) as the list of optional extras fitted includes: Roof mounted indicators ,Extra rust prevention treatment (fully waxoyled from new), headrests on the seats, uprated brake servo, Rear solid panel hatch, all the internal panels are insulated, heavy duty shock absorbers, all terrain tyres, factory fitted Eberspacher petrol heater with timer, and a twin port 1600 engine.until being finally retired by the Feuerwehr in 2007.Fortunately major disasters were few and far between in Pinneberg nr Hamburg so, although she was kept in tip top condition, ready to go at a moment’s notice, the bus was hardly ever used and clocked up just 45,000 km in 34 years. I have her original papers and photos of her Pinnenberg Fire Brigade logos where she was based and in service and used on major disaster exercises.

I bought the bus in June 2009, she was stored in Germany from when she was retired from service and I registered the bus in the UK. Externally I wanted the bus to remain as original looking as possible. She still has the faded Fire Brigade logos on the doors and her call sign – ‘SO 2026’. Best of all is she still has the fully working blue light on the roof which now works from a plug in adapter (some Police will not allow the displaying of a blue light on UK roads). I had her professionally lowered by 3” front and just to improve the handling and fitted chrome beauty rings with original black steel wheels with chrome hubcaps fitted with standard all terrain tyres .The bus also has a colour coded quality three bow red roof-rack with varnished softwood slats.

The original seats were re-upholstered in Red /Black leatherette. I also have fitted a centre seat consul with storage for two small cookers underneath. New panels upholstered in dog tooth aluminium-like material to give a utilitarian feel. The Emergency Services two-way radio has been removed and replaced with a brand new, quality mp3/CD player and sound surround system but many original features remain, siren switches erberspatch time switch with the original First Aid box – the contents of which are all still sealed in plastic ready for that major disaster, with the original convoy flag post on the side of the vehicle.

The ‘rock and roll’ ¾ bed was upholstered and has loads of storage underneath, along with a small rear roof hatch for further storage and an original wesfalia interior
, the floor is black hard wearing tailor-made carpet with red edging .The rear windows were tinted for privacy when camping. The roof has been insulated and recovered in grey felt to match the cabin. The front seat has a buddy seat with storage for cookers. All in all an excellent planned interior which seats 6 with a fold away table for weekend camping.

The bodywork is exceptionally good and there is NO rust anywhere on the van.
Mechanically the bus is spot on and drives beautifully. I would trust it to go anywhere. She has now done 58,000 km (about 39,000 miles) and drives like a new van. She was just serviced and a new electronic ignition system and alternater fitted. The bus was M.O.T in June 2014 and serviced.

The van attracts a lot of attention everywhere she goes also she get’s me into many VW fests free as a good display vehicle. This bus is a real head turner and I really don’t want to sell her but relocating . If you are looking for a very, very good camper, with very low mileage and in excellent condition then this could be the one for you.
This Van has original milage 39k and no welding or rust it’s just brilliant……..
PS All new heavy duty Tires all round. As last year failed it’s MOT test because the tyres were cracked due to being stored for many yrs.
£12,950.00 ono
Tel Mobile
07784 245631 or email me on stevenhorton@live.co.uk
Photos at http://s945.photobucket.com/user/dubberlover/slideshow/
dubberlover