Return of the T25 Feuerwehr!

Take a few moments and let the rest of the members know about yourself, your EVW and your interests.
Elements
Return of the T25 Feuerwehr!

Post by Elements » Wed May 28, 2014 11:32 am

Greetings all...
We have just fallen in love with and bought a T25 Feuerwehr, originally imported from Lauenau, Germany. I stumbled across this forum and to my surprise found not only my new van but also some lovely photos of him being imported a few years back! His previous owner looked quite active on this forum (he was the one with the LPG conversion and the bull bar addition posts in 2011) but has now emigrated to Canada I believe, the lucky so and so. Brian (as he's now called) has had an interim owner who to be honest bought him on a bit of a whim and it turns out knows nothing about how anything works...so we have lots of newbie questions for you all. Hope that's ok!

jolas
EVW Addict

Re: Return of the T25 Feuerwehr!

Post by jolas » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 pm

8-) Congrats on your new purchase, I hope you have many adventures with "Brian" - please post some photos :D

Elements

Post by Elements » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am

Many thanks - we're looking forwards to many adventures in Brian, he feels like one of the family already. Our first "adventure" was actually the drive home - 650 miles from South London to Aberdeenshire, through the London rush hour and bank holiday traffic on the M6, in a 30 year old van that we have no idea how anything works...including how to switch from LPG to petrol! Let's just say we did a lot of planning around LPG sellers in Scotland...

A few photos attached - when we viewed him in Brixton, the inside (which could do with a bit of work), and on arrival at home. That's my partner hanging out of the cab, doing a victory hurrah...I can't tell you how relieved we were to get home without the aid of a tow truck! He earned his name on the way home - his Sunday name is Brian Von Schnecke - you'll need to be a fan of the Magic Roundabout and use Google translator to get the joke...

Grateful if anyone could let me know if they remember seeing the van around the shows - there are some switches around the dash that we have no clue what they do so it would be great if anyone out there has any idea...

Sonia.
forum pics.pdf
Brian Von Schnecke
(182.67KiB)Downloaded 753 times

lmpd
Super Moderator

Post by lmpd » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. Looks like a nice Westfalia interior you've got there - making it a very usable van. Hope you have many adventures and keep us up to date. (:D

Elements

Post by Elements » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 am

Many thanks - we certainly will do. We headed for the hills this weekend (Braemar, in the Highlands) and put the Westfalia interior through its paces for the first time...apart from the electrics everything is working great. If anyone has any clues on how to figure out the spaghetti mess of electrics in a camper van I would be grateful for any advice. We currently can only get the fridge to work when we plug it in at home...using the 3 prong plug that hangs out the back?! e:(

Apart from the electrics we had a wonderful weekend, it's all a bit of a learning curve but it's all good fun and we'll definitely get there in the end. The van runs really well on LPG or petrol (which is progress, when we bought him he wouldn't run on petrol and kept stalling on LPG) so we'll start clocking up the miles soon I am sure. I can feel a week on the West Coast calling...

Photo attached - what a beautiful spot for a bit of rough camping!
Braemar 2.pdf
Rough camping in the hills...
(33.55KiB)Downloaded 749 times
All the best,

Sonia.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Post by Dubmatix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi Sonia
Welcome to the group! (:D Congratulations, looks like you have picked up a cracking bus that's practical too. I'm sure we can give you some tips on the electrickery when you start looking into it. Does it have a seperate leisure battery? Is that charged up? Is that what you are wanting to run your fridge from?

I love that last picture where exactly were you? :) Always good to get camping tips!

PS there is a group photobucket account that i can send you details for (if i can remember them!) so you can upload pics there and then link them to the forum (to appear in your posts), or you can set up one for free yourself an do the same.

Happy EVW camping

John

PPS If you are thinking of going to busfest, let us know if you would like to display your bus in the halls on the Saturday /Sunday as part of the Emergency VW Gruppe gathering. (we usually get site entry concessions for this too 8-) )

Elements

Post by Elements » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome John - much appreciated!

Also thanks for the Photobucket tip; I'll check it out and get an account set up...and the first thing I'll load is a map of that camping spot. Don't know whether you know Braemar at all, but essentially you drive through the village and follow the River Dee out to the Linn of Dee, across the river and the camp spot was a wee drive past the car park, by a small hump back bridge. There's another lovely spot further on at the Linn of Quoich...hopefully heading there this weekend. \:)/

Alas we wont be at busfest :( - we have a wedding to attend that weekend, which is rather unfortunate planning. We'll definitely get the date in our diary for next year though - it sounds like a hoot...

Finally, even more thanks for the electrickery offer - we think we have a leisure battery, but a swivel seat has been fitted over the battery compartment of the passenger seat so we'll need to take the seat out to check whether there are two batteries in place (we've already found a shiny looking one under the drivers seat)...and then try and figure out which one might be the leisure battery. Also wondering whether a lot of the electrics are even wired up - the fuse/trip thing near the seat doesn't seem to be connected - which would probably explain why the fridge wont work on the van battery...not sure whether that also explains why it wont run on gas though! Hmm, perhaps I should start another thread on dodgy van electrics.... (:D

All the best,

Sonia.