New member - chassis/manufacture date Qs

Take a few moments and let the rest of the members know about yourself, your EVW and your interests.
stuart
New member - chassis/manufacture date Qs

Post by stuart » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:38 pm

Hello,

I have a 1975 registered VW, originally in service with the Frankfurt am Main fire service. I'm the second UK owner and I've had it for about four years now. It's pretty original: structurally and mechanically excellent with terrific patina - it's not restored, lowered or messed about with. The benches live in my garage, replaced by my marine ply sleeper conversion and propex heater for the colder days as I don't entirely trust the original petrol heater (on my to-service list). All can be returned back to original spec in a day or so if I was ever inclined. We use it mostly for long journeys and holidays, with summer trips to the Swiss and French Alps.

My question: the DVLA have a rolling Historic Vehicle status. As of 1st April 2015, vehicles manufactured before 31st Dec 1974 qualify for free road tax. Because mine was imported to the UK seven or so years ago it was given a default 31st December 1975 date. It's a '52', meaning it's a 1975 model year, BUT this does not mean that it was necessarily manufactured in 1975 because some 52 vehicles were manufactured in the latter part of 1974. Somewhere there should be a file that cross-references chassis numbers with date of manufacture - does anyone have this or know when I can find it?

Thanks!

Stuart.

Dubmatix
Site Admin

Re: New member - chassis/manufacture date Qs

Post by Dubmatix » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:02 pm

It's a rolling 40 year exemption so it will roll round anyway. But you can get a VW birth certificate with VIN and build date, either from VW directly or by the VWOC(GB). DVLA require the official letter/info from VW rather than user sourced info AFAIK.

Will be doing this myself soon as mine is a 76 but first registered 1980 and hence on a V plate.

rolandrat
Super Moderator

Re: New member - chassis/manufacture date Qs

Post by rolandrat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:37 pm

So we have two forum members with Feuerwehr Frankfurt vans now. Great!

I like the unique Frankfurt livery. Yours might look like this 1:43 MINICHAMPS model then!?

Is it the one in the 'Frankfurt White Cab Surrounds!' thread!?